Rigour, fairness and wisdom: these are the virtues this building was designed to project. The Courthouse was built between 1923 and 1927 to a plan by the architect Valentin Vaerwijck. It was constructed on the site of the old citadel of the Lords of Dendermonde. Justice has been administered here for more than a thousand years. The building is decorated with Art Deco sculpture. The Four Sons of Aymon and their steed, Bayard, cast in bronze, stand proudly atop the fifty-metre-high tower. The statue is the work of the Ghent sculptor Oscar Sinia (1877-1965).